This morning we woke up to snow. Granted it wasn’t inches and inches but it was enough to get that dreaded, (or not) depending on how much you love spending time with your kids, text from school saying it was closed due to the bad weather conditions. I found myself thinking that aside from the given, making snowmen, snow angels and throwing snowballs which would inevitably last half hour, the kids would soon get bored, and cold and I’d be left with a full day to keep them occupied. So I decided to do some research and see what great ideas there were around that would be fun for us all, well maybe just the kids but hey at least they’d be off the screens and hopefully not screaming at each other all day! Here are my favourites from around the web. I hope you like them and if you try any drop me a note in the comments and let me know how you got on!
Keep your kids entertained this winter with these fun snow and ice activities from around the web.
Crafts for little ones
- Make this adorable melted Snowman craft with cute poem from Messy Little Monster
- I love this snow play dough recipe and invitation to play by The Chaos and the Clutter. It looks so inviting, I want to play!!
- Here are 5 ideas for playing with ice and snow from Mummyest2014. I particularly like the hunt for ice activity.
- Hodge Podge Days have free Snow Day colouring pages! What a great activity for the kids to do after they’ve been playing in the snow!
- Have a snowman competition but change it up by making snow animals!
- Create a maze in the snow. Love this fun, interactive idea by Apparently this is Normal.
- Here’s a great idea from Wave to Mummy;
If you’ve got loads of snow that’s not melting away, I’ve loved to make snow lanterns. Make loads of snowballs and stack them like a pyramid. In the evening put a tealight inside and it looks very pretty in your back garden.
- Kids love to make snow angels! Stop, drop, get up, go back inside!
The kids love it and you don’t have to be outside too long. Thanks to The Incidental Parent for this fab idea!
- Little Hearts Big Love says when there isn’t enough snow to build a snowman, or if the snow is too powdery try snow painting instead! You can read her post on how to do snow painting here.
- Make a snow volcano! You can watch this video from A Suffolk Mum to find out how.
- Thimble and Twig have some amazing winter nature art activity ideas. My favourite has to be the natural stained glass windows. I’ll definitely be trying this one out with my kids.
- Bake some yummy snowball cookies that melt in your mouth by Chocolate Covered Katie.
- Dads delicious dinners says “we always walk to our local shop and buy extra spray cream, hot chocolate and marshmallows and make a big family thing of making the biggest cups of hot chocolate together.” I love this!!
- Baking is always a must on a cold, snowy day. Back with a bump suggests these yummy Cherry and Sultana Scones. Get the recipe here!
- Craft invaders have this oh so cool recipe for Snow Icecream! You have to check this one out but be warned you need CLEAN snow for this one!!
I really hope you have found some inspirational ideas here to keep the kids busy on this lovely snowy day. I’d love to hear from you. What do you do when it’s a snow day?
Let me know in the comments!